A part from one taking Tamarillo or Tree Tomatoes as juice, nutritionists say the natural fruit has more health benefits, which makes it a key fruit to include on one’s menu.
- The rich content of iron in tamarillo is increasingly beneficial for curing anaemia. The mineral contributes toward this function by regulating and promoting the production of red blood cells, which effectuates the production of blood in your body. As consuming tamarillo will contribute towards the necessary production of red blood cells, it helps your body overcome the anaemic condition. Tamarillo also helps in fighting off the associated signs such as fatigue, weakness and dizziness
- Tamarillo fruits are also very good for maintaining healthy eyesight. Vitamin A restores the moisture of the membranes of the eyes which act as a barrier to bacteria and viruses. It protects the eyes from infections, and reduces the damage of eye disorders such as cataract and macular degeneration.
- Anthocyanins contained in the darker tamarillo have potent antioxidants, which help combat free radicals that cause cancer. They also have anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties that stave off cancerous outbreaks.
- Tree-tomato is packed with vitamins A, C, E and pro-vitamin A. It has a good source of B-complex vitamins such as niacin, thiamine, and riboflavin. Other nutrients in tree-tomato are carbohydrates, protein, fat, calcium, potassium and sodium. It also contains minerals such as, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, copper, zinc and iron. It is fortified with many nutrients that help improve the immune system.
- It is beneficial for people who want to lose weight. Consumed raw, sprinkled with herbs or in the form of salads, the juice of tree-tomato acts as a detoxifier when consumed. Its acidic properties help cut down fat. Exercising, in addition, can accelerate the results of weight loss.
- Tamarillos are one of the very low-calorie fruits. 100 g of fresh fruit contain just 31 calories. They contain slightly more calories, fat, and protein than tomatoes. (100 g tomato has 18 calories). Nevertheless, they have good amounts of health benefiting plant nutrients such as dietary fiber (3.3 mg or 9% of RDA), minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins.
- Tree-tomato offers vitamins A, C and E to ensure your skin stays healthy and radiant. Anthocyanin, phenols and flavonoids protect the skin from oxidative stress, pollution. Tree-tomato also helps in anti-aging. Just as regular tomatoes, these can be used in home remedies for various skin problems.
- For sore throat, warm the leaves and wrap it around neck.
- Cook the pulp in embers and use it as a poultice for inflamed tonsils.